View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 13, 2022, 12:18 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
^Well, first you'd have to build a building inside. And then you'd have to enclose that new building with something to keep out the rain and snow. So what do you end up with? A new building that sort of looks like an old building, but isn't very good for the purposes to which it's put.

The Union Station steam plant is not a huge empty hall like Battersea or Fisk power stations. It's a big boiler hung within a purpose-built steel frame, and then enclosed by century-old brickwork that would mostly have to be relaid brick by brick. So if you're building a new frame and hanging a new skin on the outside, what exactly are you preserving?
Maybe I'm not understanding the condition of the building, but I don't see why you can't take apart the boilers with a torch one bit at a time, and leave the steel frame intact. It won't be huge open art galleries, so any work exhibited there would have to be small scale work or site-specific installations working around the steel frame (that's why I brought up PS.1).