View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 11, 2011, 5:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlx2 View Post

Interesting post to read. I've mostly read of its reputation for event production. 7wtcevents.com site has a lot of press statements about its capabilities for photo and video production. It's an awesome building and has great views of the skyline, but as far as actual access, all the site has is hype, it seems. Some kind of news brief about a recent charity event for Operation Smile, but clicks on these photos are a pretty shallow reference for anyone (like me) who wasn't actually there.
As a side-note, I'll point out that this is a location I've always wanted to shoot from, and would have if I wasn't constantly thwarted by the management on actually doing it, without anything but cryptic references to make that happen. I'll get invitations for applications and then show up and during the application process, spilling out my various credentials, I'll get a cold stare or a furious return, which makes it seem like their production locations, however much they hype it, are totally inaccessible. Or I'll send in a a request that's more or less returned (in very formal and unforgiving writing), "we appreciate your request, but your credentials are not quite good enough." I get that 7 WTC has awesome skyline views. I get that it would be an awesome place to be in, theoretically, except they make that on the verge impossibility to have happen. It's really damaging to your mental health. It's like you have to obsess over all of your credentials to figure out how to get in there, send them a million letters before you even get an interview. Once you get one you get signals that all your first letters ruined your reputation way too much to have the more recent ones matter. You can get really hopeful about it reading about it, but show up for an interview, and man, your hopes are crushed, you have zero confidence in your abilities as a photographer, and you generally want to crawl into a small hole and die.

I would love to hear from anyone who has other experience with this. God knows I would like to do it if it hasn't been a coldly intimidating process and damaging on the latter end. Anyone know how to get there without the constant reference to the cryptic instructions seemingly buried within the 9,000-pages of documentation required to read for application to get anything possibly relevant? Without getting your hopes up about anything in the documentation that proves falsely positive? Thanks!