View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 1, 2022, 3:29 PM
Chris

Some good points and some nonsense points, but an exciting development either way.

But if I hear the statement "Philadelphia is the nations poorest big city" one more time I am going to scream! Philadelphia is not the poorest big city. Philadelphia has the highest poverty rate among America's 10 largest cities (all over 1M people). But I could see Houston taking Philadelphia's spot in the coming years based on trends.

Point man for Sixers’ arena plan: ‘The city’s not going to fix itself’

https://www.inquirer.com/sixers/phil...-20220930.html

Sometimes, David Adelman, who wants to build a downtown arena for the 76ers, walks west on Market Street from Front Street. “You get to 5th Street, even 6th, it’s great,” he said. “Day or night, this is great. You get to 7th and 8th, and you’re like, ‘I’m someplace else.’”

Sometimes, he walks east on Market from City Hall. “You’re like, ‘This is so cool.’ Cool neon signage. You feel like you’re in a modern city: high rises, supermarkets. Bingo, next block, you’re like, ‘Oh, [bleep], where am I?’”

In his view, Philadelphia and its institutions need a renaissance, one that the city’s political leaders cannot and will not deliver, and building the arena, reshaping the Fashion District, and filling what he called the “doughnut hole,” those decaying and benumbed Center City blocks, are essential to that urban rebirth.