View Single Post
Old Posted May 27, 2006, 5:39 AM
Pay it Forward

JM, What we have now is as far as many San Franciscans want to go.

Ironically, much of the belly aching is from former Manhattanites and East Coasters who moved to San Francisco and in the 1950s,1960s,1970s and 1980s. I happen to have a former boss who was born and raised in The Upper East Side and he would go off at the notion of San Francisco becoming like Manhattan-which I found odd. He and people like him campaigned vociferously against the development of new highrises. If it werent for them, San Francisco would probably look very different then it now does, and a Thousand Footer or Two probably would have already graced the skyline by now.

Their arguments vary from protecting bay and hill views to the shadows of buildings making it too cold inside canyons of skyscrapers to earthquake safety to blatant corporate displays of power etc. Its all quite amusing really.

I think this poll is promising. 30 years ago probably a slight majority would have voted "no, the city is already too manhattanized"

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Last edited by dimondpark; May 27, 2006 at 8:13 AM.