View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
The Farley solution, the best solution, notwithstanding...

If MSG ever leaves Manhattan it will be to Sunnyside Yard. MSG doesn't need to leave the city and shouldn't have to BUT Sunnyside is the only other location with such a confluence of rail and assuming a new MSG would be built on top or adjacent to a new Sunnyside station serving subway connections, LIRR, Metro-North and even NJT through trains, it has no competition transportation wise or its centrality than, wait for it....

On top of or part of a new Port Authority Bus Terminal complex(including possibly over the Lincoln tunnel/PA bus ramp spaghetti. The PABT has more or less the same subway access than Penn and when you add in the bus connections it would not be significantly different access wise than a 34th St location. You could also incorporate that 41st St 7 station into the western side of the complex AS WELL AS modifying the West Side Line (Empire Connection) to terminate some Metro-North trains under a new modern PABT or at the very least a station integrated with a new 7 station that would serve a combined PABT and MSG sports/entertainment complex within a few blocks of Times Sq.
Politically I doubt Sunnyside will happen unless there is some major realignment of the powers that be. The Feds would also have to be involved.

I thought about PABT. I probably would not spend all that money on 41st street or the Empire Connection. Penn is only one subway stop south and the 7 is readily accessed through the 41st Street passageway. The site does offer a big enough contiguous parcel to put MSG but the PA has even yet to figure out how/if/when they are going to replace the existing facility. Throwing MSG on top of it isn't likely to help clear things up anytime soon.