View Single Post
Old Posted May 14, 2010, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ I think somebody said a while back that the neighbor will be using the second floor of that space (a spa or something?). Not sure about the first floor.

Suburbia in Wrigleyville?
WRIGLEYVILLE | Outrage after alderman OKs development across street from ballpark

May 14, 2010
BY FRAN SPIELMAN City Hall Reporter
Bar, theater and restaurant owners lambasted Ald. Tom Tunney (44th) on Thursday for endorsing a $100 million mixed-use development across the street from Wrigley Field that will sweep them out of the "cool, hip neighborhood."

Roughly eight neighborhood businesses would be displaced to make way for "Addison Park on Clark," a project at Addison and Clark that includes a 137-room Hyatt Hotel, 135 residential units, 145,000 square feet of retail space and 399 underground parking spaces.

The displaced include iO Theater, formerly known as ImprovOlympic, 3541 N. Clark; Bar Louie, 3545 N. Clark; Salt & Pepper Diner, 3537 N. Clark; Goose Island Beer Co., 3535 N. Clark, and Red Ivy, 3519 N. Clark.

Earlier this week, Tunney endorsed the project and took it to a final community meeting. M&R Development revealed that prospective tenants include Best Buy, Dominick's, an Apple Store and a CVS Pharmacy.
I support the project but I'm a little sympathetic to the argument against having a Best Buy and Dominick's right next to Wrigley. But then again, why aren't these people pressuring drive thru McDonalds and Taco Bell right across the street and Dunkin Donuts a bit farther south to close up?

iO will likely move into the now defunct Lakeshore Theatre building. Bar Louie and Goose Island are both sufficiently corporate and high end enough to rent in the newly built building. The diner is done.