View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 25, 2014, 7:57 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
Nicely put.

The only thing I don't agree with is the idea of replacing the grandstand with something new and modern. If they need to replace it with the exact same thing, that's fine. But in no way would I be okay with any kind of 'upgrade' to the grandstand. And really, that's one of my major issues with this entire thing: the notion that the stadium is flawed or lacking in some way. Look, I realize the grandstand itself is falling apart. Replace that with new materials? Fine. But keep it EXACTLY the same.

What really gets me angry is hearing people talk about how the concourse needs 'upgrading'. It doesn't. It's Wrigley. It's not whatever ballpark your (Mr. Transplanted-to-Chicago-for-work-after-college-and-thinks-he-has-the-right-to-weigh-in-on-this-issue-because-he-gets-tickets-from-his-job-and-calls-himself-a-Cubs-fan) out-of-town ass grew up going to. It's old; it's run down; we pee in troughs; but it's where and how we've played baseball on the Northside of Chicago for 100 years now, and it's beautiful. I, personally, don't want anything about it to change. It's bad enough they messed with the bleachers. And aside from taking the grandstand down and replacing it with exact same thing just in new materials, I am opposed to changes... especially in the name of 'upgrading', which is a fucking farce.
I respect your idea about the grandstand and I would be OK if they only did minimal structure upgrades on it to make it "safe".

Until the last few years I would have myself have been against making any wholesale changes to the grandstand given that I always liked the whole Wrigley package as it was. However over the last few years I have realized that what makes Wrigley special (to me a least) is much more the outfield rather then grandstand or exterior shell. I mean what on the outside are we preserving. The chainlink fencing? The concrete panels lining the side walk? Other then the marquee itself I don't see much on the outside that needs to be over nostalgic about. And in the grandstand though I do like the configuration of the seats I do think the obstructed views of the I-beams and the overhanging skyboxes is quasi-unacceptable. Also a new single line of skyboxes could be put up of the second deck in a new grandstand. These are real changes and concerns I think that most of the fans would really appreciate but which aren't in the plans to get done. To me making a ballpark "modern" doesn't equate with blasting oversized TV's and advertising signs as it does the Ricketts and some fans. I think a new modern grandstand (think Target Field or some of the new European soccer stadiums) could provide great inspiration for a contrasting grandstand and a historical outfield. That is just my ideal. Of course keep the troughs.

I am also very skeptical of owners and their architects who do "retro" parks be they new or restored. Frankly I think its been overdone and the results are not all that impressive in many cases. No doubt one just needs to look at the neo-traditional schlock the Ricketts have planned for their triangle building and hotel as a reason to be fearful of what they would with their ideas of historical interpretation are.

Last edited by nomarandlee; Jan 26, 2014 at 7:32 AM.