View Single Post
Old Posted May 5, 2013, 2:29 AM
The Moon Rulez! #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex1 View Post
How do you figure Wrigley would get torn down? Tom and the team have absolutely no legal grounds to do this.

If you're creative about the ballpark's adaptive reuse without baseball (say the team sells the ballpark back to the city), you quickly discover that you can actually create a pretty exciting experience that mixes open space uses with other revenue generating streams (i.e. football games, concerts...). Could become one of the more interesting public spaces in the continent if done well.
Yeah, the piss poor city of Chicago is going to pay several hundreds of millions to buy yet another white elephant (Soldier Field, U.S Cellular) so that they can then reinvest several more hundreds of millions into a structure that is 100 years old so that we can host high school baseball games and a handfull of concerts.

If the Cubs leave the stadium it will be torn down whether or not it is landmarked. Do you think an abandoned stadium will remain in the middle of Lakeview as it slowly falls further into disrepair?