View Single Post
Old Posted May 9, 2021, 10:37 PM
life is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWAK View Post
I find it kind of dumb that somebody would leave based on how bloated a state bureaucracy is, but most of this stuff is what usually happens in California threads. It's more for the CE anyway...
It is not some abstract made up thing, it is quite real: this is an older article (last i saw it was up to 28% of the ENTIRE LA city budget goes to retirees). This is why the infrastucture sucks, why there are so many homeless etc despite high taxes, a huge population and great deal of wealth (well, aside from the absolutely atrocious city and state mgmt/budgetary mgmt by politicians - and I am a liberal).

Paying for public retirees has never cost L.A. taxpayers more. And that's after pension reform
Retirement benefits now eat up 20% of city’s general fund revenue. Touted cost controls won't have real impact for decades.

https://www.latimes.com/projects/la-me-pension-squeeze/
Quote:
Yet the numbers tell a story jarringly at odds with the political rhetoric, a Times analysis found. Today, Los Angeles taxpayers are underwriting retirement benefits that are among the nation’s most generous — at a cost that has never been higher.

The city’s general fund payments for pensions and retiree healthcare reached $1.04 billion last year, eating up more than 20% of operating revenue — compared with less than 5% in 2002.