View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 1:22 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

This is the latest version of the Development Master Plan for the Town of Riverview:

Not much different than before, but I decided to post it anyway because this is a much crisper image than my previous post on page one, and includes the whole town.

In any event, it will be interesting to follow development in the east end of town over the next decade. The Mill Creek Park master plan was in the T&T today and I must admit that the municipal vision for the area is very impressive. Unfortunately, the rendering for the plan is not currently available on the town's website so I can't post it or provide a link.

The large green area to the southeast of Gunningsville Blvd is the proposed Mill Creek Park. It is 536 acres, which means that it will be larger than Centennial Park or Mapleton Park. The back end of the park will be kept in it's natural state with hiking trails and opportunities for water recreation (canoeing etc) on the Mill Creek dam headpond. The front end of the park could include tennis courts, a skate park etc. In this way, Mill Creek Park could be very similar to Centennial Park in Moncton. The red area at the corner of Gunningsville Blvd and (the proposed) Bridgedale Blvd is projected to be a new commercial node and the render in the newspaper included a new civic centre for the town in this area. The plan indicated that the town's operations centre could be relocated here as well.

It is clear that Riverview is planning on focussing future growth in the municipality to the east end of town. This only makes sense. The axis of the town had previously been around the causeway, but this links to the west end of Moncton and the Wheeler Blvd ring road. Now that the new Gunningsville Bridge is operational, downtown Moncton is only a five minute drive from Riverview. The Gunningsville Bridge is seeing heavy traffic. The axis of the town is thus migrating east, and will be focussed around the Gunningsville Bridge. This is an eminently sensible approach for future development.

Anyway, here is a crappy cellphone capture of the current vision for the Mill Creek/Gunningsville/Bridgedale area. As soon as a better one becomes available on the municipal website, I will post it.....

Last edited by MonctonRad; Apr 24, 2013 at 1:37 PM.