View Single Post
Old Posted May 6, 2009, 9:14 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertex
The Arizona Board of Regents will have almost no control when it comes to the Community College's decision. The MCCD colleges answer to their own Board, and have their own sources of funding, with very little coming down from the legislature.
ABOR has been the one entity all along that has been preventing the community colleges from expanding further into 4 year degrees. For some reason, this needs state authorization.

Excellent post Hoover.

City University Phoenix ... another tier? Thinking big are we?

Phoenix A&M sounds very intriguing. Not sure about where the indian college might go. the lot at Central and Indian School is owned by Colliers...

I love the idea of a small liberal arts university, but I'd stash it somewhere off the light rail line in the airport ghetto around 24th St. Wouldn't compete with Gateway at all, where as it might with Phoenix College.

Splitting ASU East into Arizona Poly is a no-brainer, as well as ASU West becoming Phoenix State University. Some guy has been fighting the good fight for a long time over at

http://psuandaztech.blogspot.com/

that talks more about this.

I think what bothers me most about ASU is their conflicting mission of trying to be all things to all people yet be the best school possible. I got jaded out of a business degree when I realized I had a snowball's chance in a sauna of getting into their CIS program.. These days since i picked up keyboarding ASU is again out of reach because their music school is in the top 10 and I'm just not that good a musician.

I may end up going to Ottawa University for that music degree, which is in an office building off I-17 somewhere. It's a branch of a non-profit sort-of-religious affiliated school in Kansas. The only reason Ottawa is here is because they were looking to expand many moons ago and found this horridly underserved area. I'd like to see them grow.

It irks me to no end that there's like 2 places to get a music degree in a metro of 4 million plus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynnjamin View Post
^Ya, I think I still have the documentation on it. About 2 years ago, they came to the RAA meeting and handed out this stuff on a proposal for the lot bordered by Fillmore, 2nd Ave, McKinley, and 3rd Ave. It would house a facility that would rival Scottsdale's Culinary School and would feature a series of restaurants along the ground floor that would allow students to work and train. It was maybe a 3-story complex with the vision of also building on the PHX College side of the lot in the future - filling it with shopping and residential. It sounded like a really good idea at the time and I was excited to see like 5 new restaurants open across the street from me. Of course, it never happened, but I know the company that bought the apartment complex and all of those houses on 2nd Ave still owns it and they were the ones looking to build there. Who knows anymore...but it would be nice to see PHX take a stab at being a culinary leader by building from the bottom instead of just bringing in top culinary talent from other places.
I'm confused by this. No properties have changed hands recently on the block you're talking about--the one with the boarded up Town Apartments and that big ass lot fronting Fillmore have had the same owners for years.

The houses on 2nd Ave are north of McKinley and had a separate RFP with the neighborhood realtor Sherry Rampy that didn't go anywhere.