View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 1:51 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by pico44 View Post
Damn, lighten up Francis. A couple things: one, our school district shut down completely for somewhere between two and four weeks starting in February of ‘20. I forget exactly because I was working full time as a front-line physician at the time and I can’t remember. And I refuse to ask my wife because she will ask why-Im-asking, and then I’ll have to tell her I’m having an argument on the internet which will piss her off and make me embarrassed. But, to be absolutely clear and to win this idiotic discussion, our schools were completely and totally closed so you are 100% wrong. I never said it was the wrong decision to close the schools (I actually pushed for it because I was starting to see people crashing from the disease), or that the teachers didn’t need protection; I just said they were closed and this was terrible for children, which makes me objectively correct and you objectively incorrect.

Of course, hahaha, this wasn’t what I meant when I said schools were closed—I meant the year and a half of remote/hybrid learning, which most normal humans would be able to decipher without holding the conversation hostage for a day. In our district, hybrid/remote was a joke for many reasons, and went on for far too long; but I know better than to get tangled up in one of your semantic tentacles.
As I mentioned earlier, you're quite right to point out that most schools were closed outright for a while during the early stages of the pandemic - no in class learning and no online learning.

And as you correctly point out again, even when online learning was set up, for a fairly long time it was a bit of a joke for many students.

It's completely false to say that kids barely missed a beat due to all of this. Most kids' learning progress was compromised to at least some degree.

Many kids will be able to make up for lost time (and often have already I guess) but many others will not.