View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 10, 2021, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
all of the "cool buildings" in the west loop that everyone loves were once active warehouses or factories, the exact same as those on the SW side. what do you think happens when those buildings get torn down either due to neglect or short-sightedness in an area not currently highly sought after? the land sits vacant and at best gets turned into a strip mall or big box store.

i dont know how to break this to you but this is not "dirty" or ugly

this however is, and is the way that intersection has now looked for the past decade

"this" has the potential to be turned into cool lofts or offices which furtner generates interest in city living and elevates Chicago as a unique place that cant easily be replicated by anywhere else. simple fact, this type and style of building will never be built again. once its lost its gone forever.

"this" has the potential at best to be turned into a Home Depot, and at worst while we wait for that to materialize it lives on as a blighted moonscape repelling people from the area. this is also the way this intersection has now looked for the better part of a decade.

is "this" ugly?

or is this?

personally i know which of those two options i find more repelling and detrimental to the human soul.

unfortunately the stars do not always align immediately to turn Picture A into the kind of "cool" experience in the west loop youre seeking. but if we tear the structures down before they ever have that opportunity to see their potential fully realized, i can guarantee you it never will turn into that kind of neighborhood.

the south side has enough vacant lots and strip malls and suburban style shopping. it dosent need more and cheering on its loss of unique architecture isnt going to lead to the sorts of changes you are seeking. people dont travel from other cities or other countries to look at our collection of Sams Clubs. or vacant lots for that matter. people DO however move to neighborhoods and revitalize them because of their historical significance and in-tact streetscapes which offer unique experiences.

careful what you wish for.
Thanks for the examples and visuals. I know how the West Loop use to look like and I now realized I contradicted myself by saying I want to see such changes like those in the Southside but I also mentioned how I want to see them tear down such buildings (that's my bad). I'm also on board with the idea of more dense projects and pedestrian-friendly and vibrant streets in the southside and that was basically what I was trying to say with my initial post. I have been a fan of this thread for a long time since 2010 actually (I'm 21 now) and I apologize if my first post came off as rude or stupid.