View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 18, 2017, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
I don't get it. Why are so many people in this city (other cities too, but Philly seems to have it worst) so opposed to seeing their city grow? What do they have to gain from objecting to every new project proposed in the city? If NIMBYs in Philly weren't so bad, we'd have one of the best collections of skyscrapers in the whole country, and yet we have so many people that are content to settle from blandness and mediocrity.
The two have nothing to do with each other. You can be very pro-development (as I am) and recognize what a clusterf**k this project is. And how bad an idea it would be to amend the entire zoning overlay with no thought and no input from relevant and informed constituencies just for this project that almost certainly will not be built remotely as planned. Whether the zoning overlay should be changed more generally to allow for more height by the river and otherwise is a different issue and should get some careful thought, and that's what's going to happen. That's not off the table and I welcome that discussion. Philly does not have the worst NIMBYs either and our skyline is as much constrained by economic realities as NIMBYism.