View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^. What, bailing on me? I'm glad that as an Asian I don't suffer from "white guilt" and don't have to play the idiotic PC game.

My parents were given zero handouts. They had neither toilets or electricity. And here I am.

Succeeding in America is easy. Whiners here deserve zero sympathy
Well Chicago has a lot of immigrants, we arent all white yuppies and hipsters on this board. My family came here from a SE Asian country with nothing much materially, and gave me nothing materially either. I had no economic advantage growing up in a single parent household with multiple siblings in an apartment.

But I was given values. For one, I was instilled with a sense of understanding privilege, and that I shouldn't project my own experiences, or my own family's experiences, onto others since the world is complex and deals many of us rather different hands to play with.

I have met many less privileged than me, and many who were more privileged than me, and understand that our own actions are not fully what give us the economic position in society we have today. And when I say privileged this includes the values I was blessed to be given - I was privileged because I was taught to work hard, taught to value education, I was taught to believe it will pay off. I didnt ask for those, they were given to me. I was also privileged to not be expected to be slow in class, to not have to worry about being shot or harassed by gangs, to not have to be pressured to be a violent individual. (And still I was lured by those things as a teenager and almost didnt graduate school.)

I also was taught to have empathy for my fellow human beings, as more often than not, they are usually the same as I am deep within. They all want a sense of responsibility, to able to reach a sense of accomplishment, and to be able to reach some level of success. It is often only our circumstances that makes us different, the different roadblocks we face. And I will tell you, being from an asian immigrant family you or I face entirely different roadblocks than others from entrenched poverty in the US; both physical and psychological that apparently you have little hope of ever seeing or understanding. Actually how about in asia, you see the little kids running around with nothing, begging or selling trinkets on busy streets? Do you think they are any less of a person than you? Where do you think they end up, what chance do they have for success? Are they any less deserving of a right to live a happy life than you or me? I know, international poverty is on a whole other level.

But as far as Chicago, it would help to at least try to understand some of the people in the city you care about. Why the tale of Chicagoland is about two cities, one a violent troubling one, the other an affluent one, in such a close proximity to one another. A lot of the crime and murders in this city is less than 5 miles from my centrally located house. We all have to share this place, we all have to share resources, and to put it coldly and bluntly, we all have to pay for the hospital wounds for the gunshot victims they show on that TV series some way or another. So we might as well try to make it work as well as possible for all of us, solve the problems. You bring up NYC as if they just threw out all the poor people. Well, no they actually have a much better history of dealing with poverty than Chicago as well. Look at the track record of NYCHA and CHA as an example.

Again, if no one can appeal to your human side, maybe your capitalistic side can at least appreciate that the economics make sense for all of us.

BTW, your aversion to the term PC means you have an aversion to understanding others.