View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 21, 2020, 4:33 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
I project of this scale should really be closer to 3000 units. Get the added density bonus and increase the Affordable count to 25%. Everybody wins.

That would require higher buildings, which they probably wouldn't be able to get at this location so close to LaGuardia. But at the current size, 25% would be about 431 units. That's a far cry above the 75 to 90 they are currently proposing. In a city with few too many places to build on with significant numbers (thanks to downzoning and NIMBYism), the City needs to take advantage of opportunities where you can do so, especially in the outer bouroughs.

It's a city of over 8 million people, with a housing shortage. And when you tell a community that you are building over 1,700 residential units, and not even 100 of them will be the so called "affordable" units, it's no wonder people come out against it. There's going to be NIMBYism either way. But the people , for example, who can't just up and move out of the city until the pandemic is over, deserve better from the City. Especially in these times. And I'm a little pissed off that they're making me side with the NIMBYs on this issue. Of course, this will be moving through approvals, so there's no doubt that number will change, but will it change in any significant numbers? Stay tuned.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.