View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
You're right in that it's not realistic to expect that every building be a world class masterpiece. But why should we lower our standards and willingly accept mediocrity, which is what this building is. It's not an ugly eyesore but it's really nothing special either. For a luxury building in a high end neighborhood in a top tier city, is it so unreasonable to be disappointed by a generic glass box?

For those who like this design, here's a question: would you steal this building from another city? If not, then can you honestly say you "like" the design?

And remember, criticizing a building's design doesn't have to diminish your enthusiasm for the project overall. Even if the design remained the same, I'm all for this project happening.
Honestly? Yes, I would. If this was going up in Chicago in an area comparable to Society Hill I would be jealous.
I'm not the biggest fan of contemporary or postmodern architecture, but I really like how this building incorporates axis into its design. The SHTs were built from a very 60s postmodern viewpoint and as such really only focus on axis. This project incorporates some more contemporary design influences with a hint of the projects that came before it.
I just had to read an excruciatingly long essay on why the site matters in a particular project, and I like how this project incorporates context into its design.

That being said, I would far prefer something akin to the Alexander here.