View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 15, 2023, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally Monkey View Post
For what it's worth, I don't think there's much of a risk of the rest of the campus being turned into a forest of skyscrapers. Chicago zoning requirements stipulate that the contiguous campus of the University must be compatible with the character of the campus and surrounding neighborhoods, and each one of the defined sub-areas of the planned development zone have discrete building height, setback, and massing requirements. The only places I'd think we can expect to see new high-rise facilities on the contiguous campus would be at the medical school, the north sciences quad, and south of the Midway.
The new science and engineering building will be built on a quad, and the university has taken some pains to develop the north science quad or whatever they call it into a true quad and add the court yard.

I think UChicago can live with one street like Maryland Ave. with a mass of buildings, but I hope as campus expands in the future these types of streets will be limited. And the zoning you mention should help.

Anywho, Trip reports cancer hospital will be more expensive and larger than originally expected but with fewer beds. 80 in stead of 128. However, it appears there will be plenty of "shell space" to build out in the future. So it appears the facility will eventually be back to 128 beds.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...mfi-story.html

Last edited by WestsideLA; Feb 15, 2023 at 4:13 PM.