View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Cities like New York, London (UK) and Tokyo have long relied on immigration from the hinterlands to maintain/grow population. The difference now being that these cities draw from the four corners of the globe. I don't see much difference at the country level, especially in the New World, where most countries are populated primarily from descendants of immigrants.
I guess New York has always being about immigration, not from its domestic hinterland. And Tokyo relies even today on domestic migration.

About São Paulo, it went through several periods. Firstly it was fed by immigration (from the late 19th century to WWII), then from its close hinterland and from very distant parts of the country (Northeast Brazil) and since the 1990's, more people leave the metro area (retirees mostly) to the surroundings while youngsters move in. Moreover, São Paulo has a very strong natural growth (births minus deaths) as the decades of intense migration made its population young on child bearing age.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guys, do you know where we can search for births and deaths on US MSAs? They are an excelent source to identify the level of migration the area is getting. If births are going up, that's a strong indication migrants are coming or the opposite. We can look the past decade (2000-2010) and build patterns on it.

I made my own estimates for Brazilian metro areas using this method and they are incredibly accurate.