View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 3:15 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned.B View Post
I guess I see them as continuing a theme than clones. There are so many differences between the towers that I think will become more apparent once both are completed. There's certainly more variation than between many Mies or SOM designs.

Here's just a comparison of some parts:

110 N Wacker
  1. 814 ft tall
  2. 275' x 138' trapezoid with 5 cell stepped core
  3. Single setback at the 26th floor
  4. Stepped/serrated west facade, flat east facade with glass fins
  5. Minor reentrant corners at all 4 corners
  6. 3 part trident columns at base with round cladding on west side, vertical round columns on east side that terminate in a horizontal band visually supporting the tower
  7. Glass lobby on east with cable wall flush with tower facade, expressed core on west
  8. Penthouse is setback on the north and south sides and not on the east and west sides and follows the building footprint

Union Station Tower
  1. 715 ft tall
  2. 288' x 135' rectangle with 4 cell rectangular core
  3. Two setbacks at the 17th and 32nd floor
  4. Folded east and west facades with expressed column covers
  5. Large reentrant corners at the north facade, recessed center bay and folded facade on the south facade
  6. V columns that split into two additional Vs with hexagon cladding on both east and west sides that are integrated into the tower facade
  7. Lobby on east with glass fin wall set back from tower facade with free-form glass enclosure wrapping west side of core
  8. Penthouse setback on the east, west, and north sides and not on the south side and has a folded facade that is different from the main building facade

In addition I believe the two towers will be different colors. I understand the Union Station Tower is aiming for a silver tint to the glass.

So they are both predominantly glass buildings with north facing setbacks and converging columns at the base, but they have different massing and different detailing. I actually think that the Union Station Tower will be the more interesting of the two.
That's a fair (and extremely detailed) assessment. I can buy into the concept of styles permeating across a city. Perhaps maybe this just isn't a style I appreciate much so I didn't notice those variances.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo