View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 16, 2014, 5:45 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by alki View Post
I think I've mentioned to you previously that this is a great forum and I am impressed with the number of well designed bldgs going up in NYC.

Couple of questions: Do you think Hap 5 with the green and purple balconies going up in Harlem will be a dog or look good when its done? Can't decide.

Secondly, do you know how many units are under construction and proposed in NYC? It looks like there are a ton.........a lot more than in years past. Any idea?
I think Hap 5 will at first look a little strange in the neighborhood, but Harlem is experiencing a new wave of architecture. From all of the developments planned in the area, I think overtime it will fit in. Design wise, yea I dig it. Its different, and thats what adds spice to a neighborhood. Its looks warm, inviting, and playful, and will make a great addition. The city needs more developments on the midrise level like that. I don't mind glass, but colors can also make a building standout in a positive way.

With the amount of units, I am not sure to be honest. Maybe the NYC Department of Buildings might have a figure, but rest assure its probably easily over 10,000 units. In SSP, we tend to focus on high rises, but in this city, its the little developments that make up a big portion of construction. It will only speed up in the future too if DeBlasio's affordable housing plan kicks it into high gear. In terms of construction, it looks like it eclipsed the pre 2008 in terms of dollars. The city definitely weathered the recession very well.