View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 18, 2021, 12:10 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbermingham123 View Post
What worries me most is that "Dont Surpass 1WTC's Spantenna" may become an unofficial (or even worse, official) rule for the city
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
I wouldn't underestimate the long-term deference to the WTC1 thing.

There's no such rule, and honestly, how often do proposals for towers taller than 1,776 ft get built in the US? The answer is, we're still waiting for one. Don't assume if the Freedom Tower spire wasn't built, we'd for sure be getting a proposal to top 1,776 ft. That's not how it works. Developers, at least here, don't just build for height.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
My gut feeling is that it will be driven by perceived office demand and competition, and we won't know until the existing hotel on the site is demolished. But there has been a tendency to downsize office buildings in the city lately - such as 1 Vanderbilt and Manhattan West.
One Vanderbilt wasn't downsized (the space allocation is different, resulting in less floors). Manhattan West wasn't really downsized either, the tower was split into two towers to create the residential building. Office towers like 50 Hudson and the Spiral were bumped up above initial proposals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
As NYguy reminded us, the 1,486' version has the same number of floors as the earlier 1,646' version, so they satisfy the demand for square footage equally well. If there is no demand for high ceilings, then the developer will probably opt for the shorter version to save money.
There's always a demand for higher ceilings, especially in that area of midtown, and the type of building that this is. They're coming on the heels of the success of Vanderbilt, and it's what they want to emulate. Like I said earlier, I'd be shocked if they didn't build the higher floor plates. The size of the crown also plays a role in how tall the tower ultimately ends up being, though probably to a lesser extent.

Even so, the tower could still end up being shorter, we'll just have to wait and see. But for now, its still at the 1,646 ft status as we prepare for ULURP.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.