View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 6:18 PM

My background is in residential, but for commercial real estate, I assume rents are priced per square foot. I get why it makes sense for developers to then make a couple larger spaces as opposed to several smaller spaces...higher rent, quicker sales, etc. But then I don't think we should be surprised to see such boring retail go into new developments.

I also read an article that mentioned with wide yet shallow storefronts, part of the glass has to be hidden/frosted to hide the kitchen, storage, etc, so it breaks up the pedestrian experience as opposed to the traditional corridors.

I actually think Mission Bay would have a lot of potential if they get the right tenants, but I'm fearing another King Street. One development that I think did it correctly was the development on the corner of Hayes and Franklin. The Lers Ros Thai size space is perfect for attracting restaurants, not banks/dentists.

Some realistic retailers that would add some "neighborhood" feel to the area, but are comfortable with larger footprints and seemingly financially solid enough to take a risk, would be the Grove, Tacolicious, Osha Thai, etc. Hardly unique, but still smaller chains that have proven successful in established San Francisco neighborhoods, and have the draw of being "that great neighborhood spot".

This is partially why despite being very pro-development, I am also fully for formula retail restrictions on certain corridors.

ETA: When you look at the website for Market Square, and see what is already rented, it shows this problem. What could be a signature building for the neighborhood has...a Walgreens and First Republic Bank. Bon Marche will be an excellent addition, and I get the need for a large grocery store, but to draw people to Mid-Market and Mission Bay, you will need diverse and unique cafes, restaurants, bars, and boutiques. At least Mid-Market will offer easy access to SOMA, Hayes Valley, and the Mission, but if I was a Mission Bay developer, particularly if my planned building would be rentals, I would want to make sure the retail was attractive for tenants. Architecture aside, boring retail can and will kill Mission Bay...it is simply not close enough to any good retail corridors to save it if it goes wrong.