View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
I didn't realize the UK was in such a precarious position. Has there been any talk of another Brexit vote? It seems crazy that one vote in 2016 could just upend the trajectory of the country for the foreseeable future, and everyone is just accepts it as a done deal. I also don't understand why Scotland thinks it could survive, much less thrive, as an independent nation. I guess it's worked OK for Ireland, but it seems like a non united UK just makes each of the individual countries (England, Scotland, N. Ireland, Wales) weaker. At least England has London, which is a bonafide world city with a strong economy. What does Scotland have?
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Scotland could rejoin the EU if it left the UK.
Scotland economy is incredibly tied with the rest of the island's economy. Brexit would be nothing compared to the mess such separation would cause. The level of intra-island economic integration is absolute.

For the remaning of the UK, it would make no difference. England population is the only one that has been growing for ages. Scotland is already shrinking. Today Scotland represents only 7% of population and economy.