View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
you know what else is crazy? that you did not tell us how you scored this east side access tour -- whats the deets on that?
I know a guy who works for the LIRR. The work elevator was out of service so we had to walk down/up 17 flights of steps (about 8 floors) to the concourse level. There weren't many guys working after hours, just a few guys working on the escalators. The escalators appear to be almost ready but we weren't able to walk down/up them, we had to use the concrete steps.

We were told that they are already testing trains but we didn't see anything happening on the tracks. They are planning to get some new electric work locomotives but don't have them yet. The ventilation system is so powerful that they'll be able to use diesel work locomotives if they need to.

I forgot to mention that there are four circular vent intakes in each station box, aligned with the cross-paths which are aligned with the escalators down from the same concourse. It's all built to be able to keep people safe in the event of a major fire, but it's pretty clever how they were able to use them as an architectural feature.

I also forgot to mention that he doesn't believe that they'll use all four elevator banks when they open. He thinks that they won't turn on the one nearest to the new JP Morgan tower until that tower is occupied. That tower is going to have 12,000+ workers.