View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 23, 2022, 1:54 PM

Musk Watch: Elon tweets his P.O. box, wants Central Texas hyperloop

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/lo...n-17389392.php

Flight-tracking apps are not just for checking to see if Nick Saban or Urban Meyer are shopping for McMansions in Westlake. Earlier this year, a college student named Jack Sweeney made the news after his Twitter account, @ElonJet, received a DM that Sweeney says came from Musk himself. Sweeney tracks a Gulfstream G650ER that he has pinpointed as Musk's private jet, and posts its whereabouts, fuel used, and emissions.

Musk, according to a story in the New York Times, was not happy about the account, and allegedly offered Sweeney $5,000 to deactivate it. The billionaire appeared nervous for security reasons, which is understandable, but does not jibe with a recent tweet by Musk.

Nice letter from Bill Nix, who would’ve been my prof at Stanford if I hadn’t put grad studies on (permanent) deferment pic.twitter.com/ioq0mGwN7K
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) August 19, 2022

Musk posted a screenshot of a letter written to him by Bill Nix, a professor emeritus of engineering at Stanford. The content of the letter is mostly boring — stuff about batteries, fawning praise about Elon — but what Musk's followers glommed onto was the address line. Nix sent the letter to Musk's P.O. box in Lakeway, which Musk failed to crop out or cover with his thumb. Reactions ranged from thirsty and weird ("We are neighbors! Come hang with us sometime. You still owe me lunch from years ago. I don’t forget.") to, well ... most were thirsty and/or weird.

Is that your big ol thumb?
— Plain ol’ Chris (@bigstupid420) August 19, 2022

Days later, Musk, the man concerned about security, still hasn't taken it down. With that kind of epic engagement, how could he?

Hyperloop Back

Remember Elon Musk's big idea? No, not the Mars thing. Not the electric cars. Before the tunnels. Ah yes, the hyperloop, Musk's circa-2012 magnetic propulsion train that seemed to have run out of steam a few years later when he started building rockets and digging under Bastrop.

Would be cool to do a (much simplified) Hyperloop demo tunnel between maybe Austin & San Antonio?
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) August 22, 2022

Well, it's back, I guess, and Musk wants to connect San Antonio and Austin (who is he, my editor?) via the hyperloop. Seeing as he's having an issue digging a hole from the Alamo City to, uh, Silicon Hills (does anyone call it this?) because San Antonio Mayor Ron Nirenberg has no time for him, Musk is floating the levitated train again. Or maybe he's just posting.

Either way, a bullet train between San Antonio and Austin would be wonderful. Or a regular train. Anything to keep me away from the traffic in Schertz, baby. They love their traffic in Schertz don't they, folks?

Speaking of...

Baby You Can Drive My Car for $15,000 Extra

Our boy is raising the price on the self-driving feature at Tesla. That's a 25% increase beginning on September 5, so lock in your $12,000 Full Self-Driving package today.

Tesla's Autopilot program has raised some questions after crashes that Musk said he didn't know about and a finding by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration that the self-driving mechanism shuts itself off one second before a crash. Seems normal.

Anyway, one ticket for the hyperloop please.