View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 22, 2011, 9:42 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtnphx View Post
Looks a little Singapore-ish or Shanghai-ish for that area. I can't imagine how something like that would pencil out. There is not that much demand for office (in that area), that much residential, and for mixed-use frankly. You have a near empty strip sitting in front of it that is not even close to being renovated, so I don't have my hopes up. These are the types of projects that are floated and are NEVER built. EVER. It'll end up a 6-10 story project in 5 years. Forgot to take my anti-cynic pill today, sorry.
I agree totally. I don't know what that lot is currently zoned for but I really hope the City doesn't approve upzonning it, we've had WAY too much of that. In a perfect world I'd rather see Midtown fill up with 200-400' towers, not these gigantic ones that likely won't ever be built.

If this project ever did seem more real and get steam I certainly wouldn't oppose it, though I'd prefer a City tallest be in Downtown. Dozens of projects over the years with dual and triple towers have been proposed and almost all of them end up as nothing or single towers. I'd get MUCH more excited about a plan for three 200' towers as I can actually imagine it being built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
EDIT: It appears they are applying to delete a stipulation that has a condition that calls for them to have a building permit within 60 months (from their original June 2006 approval).

Basically, they're now realizing their time is up and the zoning/height waver approvals are about to revert back. There is a possibility that they'd build if they could have the financing, but there's no way in hell they can. IMO, they're just trying to keep entitlements indefinitely. The City needs to stick to their guns to require building and contruction once they approve certain applications, sh!tty economy or not.
Preach on brother, preach on. I wish there was a way for entitlements to not just expire in situations like this but also for the developer to take some sort of hit. If the lot is an empty dirt lot after the timeframe expires it should have to be "greened" with trees or flowers and if its a lot with something on it then the developer should have to donate trees/funds to a City wide "shade bank" or something of the like.

E: Also it seems strange and borderline laughable that the Architectural firm for the alleged project is one that has heretofore specialized in Golf Clubhouses and Gatehouse for private communities. While the renderings certainly aren't ugly, they're a bit blah/whatever. I agree it looks too East Asian and doesn't really say "Phoenix" in any way. If they were really going forward with this sort of project I'd hope they'd can those renderings and brig aboard someone like Eddie Jones who in my opinion is a genius.

Last edited by HooverDam; Jun 22, 2011 at 9:54 PM.