View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 8, 2009, 10:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
^Let us know what their reply is, Im sure itll be a more politely worded version of 'fuck off, we're the professionals.'
which is exactly what I received.

John,

Good afternoon, thank you for contacting our office with your concerns. I will forward your traffic related issue to Downtown Operations, they will be of further assistance in giving you a final answer to the reasons why the practice is maintained. In regards to the traffic flow issue, the city will maintain its standard in getting individuals out of downtown as quickly as possible after major sporting and other events. By doing this, the city allows the traffic flow exiting the venues access towards the freeways, which will help to get traffic flow back to the normal. If this did not occur, the streets would be grid locked, which may cause accidents and further delays for residents and patrons.

The barricade process helps to move things quickly in order to return to a normal traffic pattern. We apologize for any inconvenience, however, the practice is necessary in giving valley residents adequate access to the major freeways. Most of these individuals choose to go straight home after the events and not hang out in Downtown, due to personal choice. I hope this helps and contact me if you have further questions.

Sincerely,

Stephen Vital
City of Phoenix, District 8
602-262-4832

And my response I just sent:

Stephen,

My point, which I think you missed, is that years ago when this practice was put in place, there were not a significant number of downtown residents. Now that there are a lot of people living in the city, this has become a measure which is based on a decade old policy and needs to be drastically revised. It is making a bold assumption that nobody will be displaced by it, when in fact many of us are.

It’s too bad that there are no individuals who take this complaint (which I’m sure your office has heard before) seriously and gives the quick brush off to anyone whom detests it enough to write on the matter.

-John