View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 31, 2018, 4:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
^^^^^

The keywords are "increased zoning". The private sector will be involved, but the power to override the local government, in this case, the city government is key. Where not saying the government will be building here, but the parameters to make it a worthwhile investment for the private sector is whats at stake.

I'll give you an example for just examples sake. Lets say for whatever reason, a 100 acres holds the ability to add 10 mil-sq ft. But the local government for whatever reason is limiting its potential by only allowing 3 mil-sq ft. The state sees it as a prime opportunity for pumping the local government. Thus, the state takes control, and not only allows the full potential, but expands on it.

It creates the type of development environment that is not possible due to the limitations or lack of willpower on the part of the local government.

This is key, and right from the OP:

the best thing the government at any level can do is get out of the way. And it is really scary precedent for the government to take private land from one private entity and give it to another private entity because the state thinks it could be used better. I realize there is precedent for it, so you don't need to dig up Kelo for me, I am saying this is bad precedent.
the key is you can't let the government determine the value. that is what the free market is for.