View Single Post
Old Posted May 26, 2007, 3:51 AM

I was beginning to wonder how it would be possible for Calatrava to design something that would fit with the political, aesthetic, and economic atmosphere of San Francisco, while still being Calatrava in nature. One of his terminal designs is featured in the video above. It is the one that sort of looks like a giant spiked rib cage. His twisty or pod like towers might have looked interesting to some of us, but impractically expensive to others. Calatrava often expresses design in unique and innovative structures. Calatrava's structurally innovative tower designs towers have a tendency of being somewhat taller and thinner than more conventional tower designs. One of the main criteria of the competition is to prove the economic feasibility of the design. Although his designs may have conflicted with his success in the completion, I am sorry to see him go. It is unfortunate that San Francisco can not afford a design by Calatrava. I do still wonder what he would have come up with. His tower design might also have been among the tallest.

I am not as concerned of the lack of Calatrava lessening the quality of the other designs. I am more concerned with the politics and economics of San Francisco effecting the height and quality of the designs.