View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 4:14 AM
Vote for me for Mayor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
This will never happen because of this:

I know we've already clashed on this, but Uptown will always be a shell of its former self as long as this area continues to be the densest concentration of institutionalized housing in the city. For some reason there is a cadre of local residents who thing that we need to pile even more of the poor and institutionalized in the same place and are under the impression that it would be absolutely excellent for the neighborhood...

I'm not really against affordable housing, I'm against basically intensifying the defacto housing project that is Uptown. We already have tried cramming all the poors into one spot several times before. Spoiler alert: it never works.
I agree with you, the LAST thing Uptown needs is more supportive housing. I am a little more optimistic about Uptown's future, on one hand you have the negative, people wanting more supportive housing and on the other I think as more people get priced out of the nearby neighborhoods people will find Uptown desirable.

I will admit I ended up in Uptown by accident, I visited my apartment at night loved it and signed the lease. I came back in the daytime and awoke to a different place! Overall though, I can deal with it and Uptown is a decent hood, would be better with a lower level of supportive housing and a higher level of market rate housing. The biggest issue in uptown in my opinion and experience is quality of life issues like urine, trash etc.