View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 6:22 PM

^^^And since Bosa has a stranglehold on most of the rest of the residential projects in Mission Bay South, expect the rest of the pipeline to be delayed as well. Nothing else had firm start dates, but a project or two has been designed and made its way through the city approval process.

In other news, 1500 Owens is continuing to shape up. They're putting glass into the openings on the southern and western façades. They've temporarily halted major glass work on the eastern façade to allow pouring of the Owens Street road bed to take place. They did the eastern half of the street a couple of days ago, and are doing the western half today.

They've also opened a small driveway/road running along the freeway side of that "campus". It has allowed them to close down the access road that previously cut through the 1600 Owens site and they are now drilling and casting piles for that project. (I don't believe actual construction is necessarily imminent though.) They seem to be done casting piles for the first parking garage there, and I believe they are headed through the city approvals process for the second garage.

Over along Third Street, there is excavation and concrete work for the grade beams going on at the Pfizer complex at 455 MB Blvd S, and the large parking garage south of there is seeing forms going up for its fifth level.

They've also torn up the hodgepodge of asphalt sidewalks for several blocks along the western side of Third, have prepared irrigation lines for future street trees, and will likely pour proper sidewalks and corner aprons soon.

It's difficult to get a good vantage point on future Fourth Street, but they look to have poured a significant portion of the road bed between Channel Street and 555 Mission Rock. I've also seen them installing traffic lights along there.

As for 555 Mission Rock, I saw a large mobile crane there yesterday doing something with the tower crane, so that may be on the verge of coming down. The building has been topped out for several weeks now.

On UCSF's campus, scaffolding has come down from much of the Diller Cancer Research Building along Third, although the prominent eastern façade is still pretty well covered with scaffolding and netting. Foundation work on the cardiovascular research building just west of that is continuing. It looks to be about two-thirds poured, with the rebar done for the remainder. They're pouring more concrete today. Shouldn't be too long before steel starts to rise.

Finally, and this is old news, they have removed all of the vertical glass panels from UCSF's Third Street Garage. They have had problems with the panels cracking, and were trying to determine the cause and an in-place solution the last I heard, but it seems that they've had to bring them all down. There had also been a lot of complaints that the concrete was far too visible behind the translucent glass unless you were looking at it from a very oblique angle, but I'm not sure if the cracking fix will involve new panels that can be made more opaque to address that issue.