View Single Post
Old Posted May 31, 2023, 9:45 PM

I’m sure that there are Canadians who could ask Where the Parliament Buildings are, while standing in front of them. But, they would not, I suspect, represent the majority of Canadians.

Had the house at 24 Sussex been in reasonable condition, I would have been fine with renovating it. The revelation that, in typical Canadian fashion, we let a government asset decay into uselessness, means that there is no point in trying to resurrect it. It should, in my mind, be torn down and replaced with a HOUSE for the Prime Minister.

I do not think that there should be a duplication of resources that already exist to handle major functions for dignitaries. The replacement building should not try to compete with The White House or 10 Downing St. Entertaining capacity for 12 guests should be the limit, and no more than 2-3 small offices.

As Canadians, we should maintain our differences. We respect the Work-Life Balance, and it should be reflected in the new house. This is also the refuge, where future Prime Ministers can get away from work and enjoy their family life for a while.

Remember, the current Prime Minister has been living at a ‘Cottage’ on the grounds of the Governor General’s estate. As far as I know, there have been no unsurmountable crises that have arisen because he, and his family, don’t live in his work place.