View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 8:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLA View Post
My wife was sick with a really bad respiratory infection a few weeks ago, and so did my 3 year old son. It was so bad that when she try and stand up she had problems breathing. I took her to the doctor and basically didn’t do anything but gave her a prescription. I personally think the virus has been here for a while undetected because the medical community has not done any widespread testing. My wife and her mom are convinced they had it simply by the symptoms they had. I can’t say for sure if’s that was the case but who know really unless they been tested.
You will soon be able to get them tested if they still want to be. The PCR test they will be able to get, though, will reveal current infection only, not past infection (you need a serology test which is under development but not yet ready for that). In fact, that's how they are determining now if people are safe to leave quarantine: A series of negative tests.

If she thought she had coronavirus, I hope she self-quarantined for 14 days. If she didn't, I hope she didn't really think she had "it" because she would have been exposing others as would anybody today who suspects they have coronavirus. And yes, the coronavirus illness apparently does last quite a while--typically 10-14 days (based on what Chinese patients are describing)--so if she was sick for only a couple of days that makes it very unlikely she had "it".