View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 30, 2018, 4:24 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
^ I don't really want to live in a world where the public has veto power over architecture of private buildings through the political process. The public has terrible taste in most cases. I've lived in New Orleans where they let bureaucrats in charge of design, and the result is formulaic. No room for creativity, they enforce conventional urbanist wisdom and the results are conventional. No room for innovative designs like 150 N Riverside (ick, it's a tower in a park!) or a Thompson Center.

That being said... Amtrak is the station owner and they voluntarily submitted to city landmarking, so the city should be able to exercise some control over this design through the Landmarks Committee. Too bad the committee is such a rubber stamp right now.
I get what you're saying, and I agree, but I guess my questioning was leaning towards - is there some sort of existing fail safe in case some developer is going to do something that is truly terrible? Most of the public hates this design and I think most experts would agree as well.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo