View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investing In Chicago View Post
It's incredibly odd to me you can't understand what people mean, it isn't the literal shoveling of snow, it's having to deal with snow.
I get that this is the complaint, but I don't understand what they're "dealing with". I'm in Metro Detroit at least once every winter, and there's nothing to "deal with". All cars are fine in the snow nowadays. Sprawl neighborhoods are all attached garages, so no reason to even go out in the cold. No one walks anyways; it's all car-oriented, and every store, restaurant or service does curbside. Winters in the north can suck bc of the hermetic existence, but not really the snow/cold. Completely avoidable for most.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Investing In Chicago View Post
As soon as my 2 year old daughter graduates HS, i'm out, going to Florida. I have friends with small kids who just sold their house in Rye and are moving to the 30A area of Florida near Rosemary Beach / Alys Beach, it's a great area, especially for young families....you'll be shocked to hear this, but they are sick of the NY winter, and want something warmer.
I get there are people like this, I just don't understand the why.

What is good for young families in a place with generally poor schools, minimal services and high crime? Rye is basically a dream locale for parents. Public schools are Ivy League factories, libraries and cultural centers and youth activities are ridiculously good. You can live on the beach, walk to an amusement park, and 30 minutes by train to the center of the world. The only negative is it's all very expensive.

And isn't the point of preferring warmth predicated on being outside? People in FL are generally inside, in AC. There's less streetlife in FL than almost anywhere in the U.S. Minneapolis (which, yeah, gets unusually cold) has more streetlife than anywhere in FL excepting a few blocks of South Beach. FL doesn't have a Coastal CA type climate, where you can eat dinner outdoors practically all year. There's buggy/rainy season half the year. It's almost always humid and windy. You can't even walk barefoot due to the fire ants and scorpions.

When I'm visiting boomer types in FL, the only outside time is at restaurants. That's basically it. There are almost no pedestrians.