View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 11:02 PM
heavy user of walkability

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post

looking west toward Illinois St. one other thing of note is that, originally, the south (left) sidewalk dropped steeply, to below the level of the roadway, beginning about at the corner of the building on the left, so that it ran parallel to the ground floor. they have now split it (note the fence), raising the section closest to the street up to street-level for ease of movement.

actually, that's not quite right: looking at this old pic from 2012, I am reminded that the building was pretty much fenced off on that side, and there was no sidewalk to speak of. the sloping sidewalk I was mentioning was a fairly recent - ultimately interim - addition, probably from when the building was renovated a few years ago.

Quote:
there is a fence on the east end closing off the area beyond, but the street makeover does continue at least some ways into that area:

from the same 2012 pic above, I think we can see that some of the buildings there have been demolished as well

Quote:
a little sidestreet still awaiting its final treatment. 'Union Iron Works' still painted on the restored building across 20th St here

that entranceway (below where it says 'IRON WORKS') in 2013 before the building renovation:

Quote:
another shot looking toward Illinois St

similar angles from 2013