View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 17, 2009, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volguus zildrohar View Post
North Broad Street has its fair share of such establishments but it actually wouldn't make my list of 'places not to be ever'. North of Allegheny, particularly, it's mainly stable working class and North of Olney, Broad Street has changed very little physcially from the time it was a Jewish enclave. Also, North Broad happens to be among the longest retail corridors in the city which, while not glamorous, is there and has kept the stretch from devolving completely. I'd say the worst pockets are at Girard and Erie Avenues. Otherwise, it really isn't that bad.
I think Girard Ave in North Philly, from Fishtown to the zoo looks good, even with a few empty lots here and there, but past the zoo in North Philly, it looks horrible, especially between 48th and 52nd St. Even after 52nd St, most of the rowhomes look worn down and not maintained. Personally, in a few years, Parkside will become gentrified because I don't see how those buildings on Parkside Ave can go to waste. Just put some replica infills on the lots, and it will come back!!!

Most of Erie Ave is pretty stable from Kensington Ave to the tracks on Old York Rd. Like Girard Ave, a few lots between 5th and Old York, but I believe that the Hispanic community made it stable. but past the tracks, it's a damn shame!!! Huge lots, and when you go past Broad St, it get's worse. It's not really the lots and some of the abandoned buildings that get to me, but the pre-fab crap they're currently building, and they're too damn small at that. WTF would want to live there??? And look at what it's replacing??? Some of the grandest rows the city has!!! Check out the 1300 block of Hunting Park Ave. And this is near Temple Hospital. The city needs to spend more money renovating abandoned buildings and similaar looking infill rather than fund this Section 8 crap. I know this has nothing to do with transit, but just wanted to add my two cents.