View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
Breaking news: it's cooler in the woods during the summer than outside the woods.
The issue is not as trivial as you seem to mean it in a dense urban environment.
I'll show you, cause studies by urban planners are spectacular in that matter.

Video Link

The guy with glasses in that report from July of 2022 is a teacher in urban planning and an activist to defend trees in Central Paris.

0:45 Right there, you're standing on place de l'Opéra, a square usually full of tourists.
But there was none when they shot that report, because we were on a hellish heatwave.
That square is only limestone of buildings around and asphalt on the ground. Not a single tree on the square.
So it's what they call "îlot de chaleur" (a heat spot) in case of heatwave. The activist calls it a hostile environment, while it's a prime location at the center of the CBD in the inner city.

Temperature at ground level would be greater than in the Sahara desert when Paris is hit by some heatwave.

1:55 55.9°C, or 132.6°F on that very spot in front of the old opera house.
It goes up to 57 or 58°C (134 to 136°F)

Now look at that...

2:40 The guy just only walked over 100m (100 yards) to boulevard des Capucines. There are trees on the sidewalk right there, then the temperature drops to 23.7°C (74.7°F).
It is so unreal that I still wonder whether his gear would be reliable. I mean the difference over 100m is so insane that it seems fake.
Still, I don't think the guy would lie. That would be too bad for his reputation as a teacher in a college.

4:15 This woman is a researcher who works on very local weather conditions. She says they were working on a French-Indian satellite to spot "îlots de chaleur" more accurately, to the scale of a single urban block, like it couldn't get any more accurate.

This is obviously highly strategic in this city today.