View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 7, 2022, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally View Post
Statements like this always strike me as odd. I get the intent. The biotech surge from the last 10-20 years has only recently impacted Philadelphia in a big way.

But…saying that Philadelphia is a “young” market really skips over centuries of history of Philadelphia playing a prominent role in science and medicine. From Benjamin Franklin to Benjamin Rush to William Osler to Albert Barnes to the Wistar Institute to SmithKline Beckman (now GSK) and Merck, there is a rich history of Philadelphia-based people and institutions contributing and leading in this area.

I think that current industry leaders and marketers would do well to stress this more. Don’t call it young, and don’t call it a comeback. We’ve been here for years.
Sorry, I mispoke. I would classify medical/healthcare as a different industry than Life Sciences. Yes, Philadelphia has always been a leader in healthcare/medical industries and even certain parts of the Life Sciences industry, like Pharmaceuticals.

But in Biotech/Cell and Gene Therapy, etc.??? It's absolutely a new hot market. Boston and San Francisco were the original leaders here. Philadelphia is just starting to come into it's own in that regard and these are the companies that are taking up the majority of the lab/life sciences space in the region right now.