View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 17, 2021, 6:00 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerDude View Post
I know MW has major above grade portions that this connects to. I'm aware of the existing plan but having it ONLY go through the Retail portion of Manhattan West en route to Moynihan is akin to forcing people to go through the gift shop on the way out of a museum or Observation deck. Eventually that spur off to the East could and should be extended all the way to Moynihan/Penn Station, if not even further east to maybe 7th Avenue.
That's as far as it can go. It's basically a connection to the High Line itself, which is at grade by the time it reaches that plaza. That plaza serves as "32nd" Street. The city wants pedestrian flow through that plaza eliminate that "superblock" effect of Manhattan West, so they are funneling the pedestrian traffic through it, and it's lined with retail and shops as it would be on an actual street. Nothing to stop people from bypassing it altogether, it's not the only connection on the west side.

What you're talking about is something like the images in the link below, which would be nice, but not necessary from the pedestrian standpoint. It wouldn't be so great from an actual street pedestrian point of view.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...&postcount=713

At the same time, I do hope they continue with the phase 2 plans of connecting to the riverfront.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.