View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 5:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
The difference being such qualifications about name, ethnicity, religious affiliations don't exist in Calgary's mainstream political culture.
Religious affiliations, maybe (because as a society we tend to insist on secularism and laws priming over religion)... the rest, not really.

Does Alberta have black provincial MPs? Muslim provincial MPs? A black provincial Minister? We do, so that's not an obstacle to election, or having your limo after you're elected.

Amos, QC (one the larger towns in Abitibi... but you don't really get any more Rural Quebec than that) has had a black mayor for over a decade, and he's been a city councillor since the early 1990s... that's rural Quebec. Do Fort MacLeod, Taber, have ever had black mayors? Or any such place? (Not sure how apples-to-apples that is, but I'm trying.)

Quote:
I'd challenge the brown statement - realizing my evidence is anecdotal, a born and raised Calgarian brown friend of mine (east Indian decent) a musician in Orchestra Symphonique de Quebec had to leave town because of the intense and ongoing racism he was facing. And this was in a typically more progressive fine arts community!
You can find racism absolutely everywhere on this planet, but that's, as you say, anecdotal. And there might be more to the story that I (or you) don't know about. You say he's a born and raised Calgarian... did he speak our language fluently? All things considered I would think that a white who doesn't (in everyday life) is likely to get frowned upon more than anyone 'brown' who does.