View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Already walkable cities become more walkable?

What kind of idiot list is this? Most improved is absolutely going to be sunbelt cities
Watch the video. It's very straightforward: cities that had a bigger increase on their share of transit/bike/walk on the 2005-2009 average compared to the 2015-2019 average. Data from US Census Bureau's American Community Survey.

And of course he explains why they increased: densification, new bike lanes, new transit lines, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Complete streets advocates always go crazy for Netherlands. Yes, it's more bikeable than almost anywhere else (I think Denmark would be a serious competitor). Otherwise, it doesn't have particularly impressive urban form or transit infrastructure, at least for Western European standards. But for some reason, Amsterdam is this idealized Nirvana.

Growing up not far from the Dutch border, the stereotype was that Dutch local trains were crap compared to German and French local trains. I have no idea if this is/was true, and/or whether bikes kind of made up the difference. I don't think they're Italy-level bad but don't think they have the type of service you expect in Germany/France either.
I visited Amsterdam for the first time now in December and I wasn't really impressed regarding urban form or transit. As you said, it's a very ordinary Western European city. London, for instance, is much more pleasant for pedestrians and obviously, they have a much more comprehensive transit.

And as I was waiting my Thalys, I saw lots of their regional trains coming and going and they're quite ugly/old.