View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 11:45 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Having never been to Montreal I can't say for certain, but having read the novels of Kathy Reichs that are set there, it would seem the cop show 19-2 might do a good job of representing. It does seems to capture a certain godforsaken quality that you also find in Kathy Reichs' novels, and the characters in 19-2 do seem to appreciate their city. In one episode a veteran cop takes the rookie up to an overlook on the mountain with a sweeping view of downtown, and says he wants to the introduce the rookie to his wife: "I've been with her fifteen years and love her as much today as the first day I met her." -- or something like that. In another episode, two characters get drunk, head up the cross on the mountain, and muse about climbing it, and how the cross supposedly turns purple when the Pope dies -- and how cool it would be if he died right now so it would change colors. Things like that don't seem like throwaway details.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947