View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 28, 2010, 6:09 AM
The Time To Build Is Now

NY1

Updated 07/28/2010 12:01 AM
MTA Board To Consider Hike On MetroCards, Tolls
By: John Mancini

In an effort to close its massive budget gap, the MTA board is expected to float two separate fare hike proposals today that would increase the cost of monthly and seven-day MetroCards as well as raise tolls for drivers crossing the city's major bridges and tunnels. NY1's John Mancini filed the following report.

Quote:
Transit riders who now get the biggest discounts would be paying the biggest increases under fare-hike plans heading to the Metropolitan Transportation Authority board.

The MTA wants to preserve the $2.25 base fare. But under either of two proposals, riders who buy 30-day MetroCards would pay much more.

Monthly MetroCards would go up $10, jumping from $89 to $99, with a limit of 90 rides. If riders still want unlimited trips, it will cost them $15 more, bringing the cost up to $104 per month.

"It's expensive. I don't think I can afford that anymore. I can barely afford what I'm paying for on a monthly basis. And to paying $104 with this sort of crisis we are going through with money issues and jobs and stuff like that, it's kind of hard," said one straphanger.

Still, the cash-strapped MTA says either way, riders would pay less than $1.20 a trip if they use their card 90 times.

As for seven-day cards, there will also be two options, both with increases. The weekly MetroCard, now $27, would increase to $28 for up to 22 rides, or $29 for unlimited trips.

The bonus for Per-Ride cards would kick in only after riders pay $10. The discount would be seven percent. Currently, riders get a 15 percent bonus after they pay $8.

At the tolls, drivers would pay $6 -- an increase of 50 cents -- at major bridges and tunnels.

EZ Pass users would pay just over $5.

Meanwhile, the MTA's preliminary plan is contingent on a number of outside factors, including an uninterrupted tax flow from Albany, continued improvements in the economy, and labor concessions.

The MTA wants any raises for transit workers tied to expense cuts. But its largest union says members aren't convinced the MTA, which says $381 million has been cut through streamlining, is doing enough, citing the MTA chairman's $350,000 salary.

In a statement, the Transit Workers Union said, "...Jay Walder's annual compensation package isn't 'net zero.' The TWU has no intention of entertaining the notion that our members should have to pay dollar for dollar in givebacks for raises that barely keep up with inflation."

After reviewing the plans, the MTA board must authorize public hearings for the fall.

If approved, the hikes would likely take effect in January.

Copyright © 2010 NY1 News. All rights reserved.