View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 28, 2006, 10:57 PM
South Side Black Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsider
If you've ever visit Paris (perhaps you already have) you will be amazed at the fact that you can travel from literally anywhere to literally anywhere via the Metro. This is what we want to acheive in Chicago.
I can dig it. . I too find this neccesary and look forward to the day it comes. All it's gonna do is make the world's greatest little burg that much better. It's just about priorities and the differing ones. And the perspectives that create them. I see y'all's; I'm in the North Side far too much for many reasons and all times to NOT see your perspective--and agree in more regards than you may think. And downtown? Not even an issue there.

See mine. And oshkeoto's and Segun from up the North way.

And we take things from there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsider
Inasmuch as the 90's and 100's are in sort of no man's land in that respect (not exactly downtown, not exactly Naperville), it's a interesting project.
THIS, on the other hand, borders on hilarity. I understand the application of relativity, but that's a bit much. It's an altogether different beast than what goes on the North Side--caused my many different factors that favored the North eventually becoming one of the showplaces (with downtown) of the city to the world and SSP. But it's a beast nevertheless. Never a pussy. It's got a plethora of issues. Alot. But the Chi would be in serious trouble if this was a wholly dead-at-best, screwed-up-at worst side of town--20s to Hundereds. Tho I'm inclided to interpret that you see it as holding the city down as is.

It's significantly less dense even in the more developed areas than the North Side communities we speak of becuase it is far more single-family and lo-rise flat residential. But to say it doesn't merit L service due to that is to say that the Southwest Side doesn't merit the Orange Line (the last to open, significantly). Or that if O'Hare wasn't where it is that the Northwest side wouldn't fit the criteria for the Blue Line.

Why I compromised on the Red Line going all the way to 130th like it deserves, is because it indeed will route through the de-industrializing(-ed) South Deering and Pullman on its way to Hegewisch. But whose to say that these places won't one day densify? Doesn't a densification anywhere in city limits help the city in some way? And aside from there, we have a ways to go based on Our Town's current growth pattern til people are going to have to figuratively live on top of each other block-by-block like the New-New York of Futurama. May one day happen tho. But lets not act like this great big section of town looks the same as when the city annexed it in 1889 (exaggeration for effect). It takes exploration to understand that, is all--even if it doesn't change your perspective. But just driving thru ain't gonna do it.

What you're saying at best is "Wait til it happens, if it happens." I understand that. All I can do is tell you why that shouldn't be. But Metra and the way Metra does its thing (albeit well within those parameters) shouldnt have to be what's to be lived with for someone who is paying the cost of living anywhere in city limits over the admittedly cheaper-in-many-ways burbs (including $75/yr for a city sticker for his/her car).

And let's not forget Ford City sends some of its business-related taxes to LaSalle St...

Last edited by chitowngza; Apr 29, 2006 at 12:02 AM.