View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 7, 2010, 12:55 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/..._mcu_park.html

Brooklyn Cyclones' KeySpan Park renamed MCU Park

BY Victor Epstein AND Oren Yaniv
February 4th 2010

Winds of change are coming to the Brooklyn Cyclones.

The ballpark for the Mets' minor league affiliates, that was known as KeySpan Park since it opened in 2001, has been renamed MCU Park Thursday.

"We are very excited about our new partnership because it is such a natural fit," said Municipal Credit Union CEO Kam Wong.

He would not disclose the financial terms of the 11-year agreement, only saying, "It's very reasonable."

Cyclones general manger Steve Cohen said the new stadium sponsor is apt because MCU serves municipal employees, which comprise a third of the team's fans.

"Like any other change of a name," he said, "it will take people some time to make the switch."

Borough President Marty Markowitz, who also attended the light-hearted press conference at the park's Brooklyn Baseball Gallery, vowed to make the adjustment.

"I call it the Cyclones Stadium," he said. "I'll try my best to call it MCU Park."

Naming rights for the Coney Island stadium were sold to KeySpan through 2020, but the utility company was sold to National Grid in 2007 and its name was gone with that deal.

Now both the Mets' major league home, Citi Field, and its local minor league complex are named after financial institutions.

Mets owner Fred Wilpon took the opportunity to drum up hope for next season after a dismal 2009 was followed by a disappointing off-season.

"This is going to be a comeback year," he said. "We filled those positions we feel are important. These guys want to prove last year was an aberration and it's not going to happen again... so I'm very optimistic."

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.