View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashingLights View Post
https://www.thrillist.com/news/new-y...om-jfk-airport

Anyone smarter than me want to explain to me what's going on with United & JFK? They just don't have enough gates to be in operation there?
JFK is a slot controlled airport which means United can't just expand there as much as they please. They need to either buy or lease slots from other airlines, or somehow convince the FAA that the congested airfield can handle more flights and those flights should be given to United.

They were only able to re-start JFK service last year because some international carriers leased their slots temporarily to United. They now want their slots back and United was unable to find other airlines willing to sell/lease theirs or convince the FAA to grant United additional slots.

United technically has a large number of slots at JFK (I think the 3rd most after JetBlue and Delta) but they leased them to American years and years ago when they left JFK originally and it was a long-term agreement.

Quote:
Slot Definition
A slot is the authorization for a flight to use a runway at a busy airport for either a takeoff or a landing. They exist at airports that the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) deems capacity constrained. Without slots, the thinking goes, these airports would be so congested that it would be very difficult for flights to operate without delays.

In the U.S., there are four airports with FAA slot controls:

New York’s LaGuardia Airport (LGA)
New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK)
Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR)
Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA)