View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Okay. I'm not exactly sold on what the benefit is exactly over just making the original side platforms more accomidating. Seems like a lot of investment to create a platform where crowds of people going both directions will be running into each other. Center platforms make total sense on below grade and/or grade seperated metro systems where cross platform movement would otherwise require expensive mezzanines, but here? Seems like a waste of resources to me.
The most apparent one to me is the track switching. The criss-cross tracks will allow a single car to essentially turnaround and head back into the city without completing the entire multi-mile loop — creating a sort of express line.

In terms of the single platform, it's a more efficient use of space with a single platform and easier for commuters going either way without having to cross the street to take the train south.

In theory, they could even double birth two trains going the same direction in high traffic times. All of which speeds up the train and increases the line's capacity overall.