View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
Part of the reason the neighborhoods are affordable to live in today is the fact that they are less desirable given the proximity to these industrial uses.

Even if we somehow forced the industrial parcels to become parks or residential or other low impact use the discussion would inevitably turn into one of injustice and gentrification and pushing out poor people because the area would now be much more desirable.
I’m thinking that there is a ton of even more affordable neighborhoods on the South and West sides that have far less pollution.

Why did these historically industrial neighborhoods in particular remain stable enough to be the first choice of immigrants?

From where I’m sitting, the industrial jobs clearly played a stabilizing role even if some of the subsequent generations stayed nearby for family reasons.

Also, we tend to highly overestimate commuting into Cook County from the Collar Counties. I’m very confident that most of the on-site workers live nearby or at least in the near West suburbs like Cicero and Berwyn.

And of course warehouses don’t often go to the North side. College grads aren’t exactly applying for those positions, and it’s a tremendous commute for the likely employees who live much further South and West.